What To Do When Bitten By a Dog - Safety Tips From a Detroit Attorney
At Fraser & Souweidane, our dog bite attorneys have advice to avoid a dog attack. The following safety tips could help prevent a serious dog bite injury in Detroit and throughout Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties:
- Never antagonize a dog.
- Never approach a dog you don't know.
- Never leave a young child or baby unattended with a dog, even if you know the dog.
- Never approach a dog that is eating.
- Never approach a dog that is restrained with no owner present.
What to do when bitten by a dog
Taking the right steps immediately following an accident could help you later when you file a dog bite insurance claim to pursue compensation. First and foremost, seek immediate medical attention and do nothing that will put you or anybody else assisting you at risk of further attack. Second, notify your local animal control authority as soon as possible.
The following guidelines may help if you or your child has been bitten by a dog:
- If possible, photograph the dog.
- If you do not know who owns the dog, attempt to determine where the animal lives.
- Photograph the location where the dog bite attack took place.
- Photograph or otherwise document the extent of your injury.
- Retain all medical records related to treatment for your dog bite injury.
- Obtain a copy of any report generated by the responding animal control authority.
Under Michigan law, the owner of a dog is responsible if the dog bites a person and causes injury. In legal terms, the owner is strictly liable for the injuries caused by the dog. The law is narrow, and only applies to bites. You cannot file a claim over a scratches or being knocked down.
Our lawyers are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve
The days, weeks and months following a dog bite can be a difficult and confusing time for injured victims. Our dog bite attorneys in Detroit understand this. We know you or your child may have a long and painful recovery process. Dog bites can lead to significant injuries resulting in steep medical bills. Additionally, you may be dealing with emotional trauma. An experienced attorney can help you obtain a fair settlement or file a lawsuit if necessary.
A law firm with over 45 years of experience, Fraser and Souweidane fights for the rights of dog bite victims throughout the greater Detroit area. Contact us today at (866) 465-9095 to discuss your legal options with an experienced attorney who knows how to protect your rights.