(866) 465-9095
Local (586) 463-0100
Personal Injury Lawyers
Mount Clemens & Southeast Michigan

How to Handle a Detroit Hit and Run Claim

Macomb County auto accident attorneyMichigan is a no fault auto insurance state. This means every driver has to buy personal injury protection (PIP) auto insurance as well as liability insurance. PIP coverage pays for medical bills and partial lost wages after any collision. It does not matter who is at fault for causing an accident, or if the accident is a hit-and-run. If you get into a crash and you get hurt, you contact your own insurer and you get compensated for medical costs and missed income from your own policy, up to policy limits.

At least that's how it's supposed to work.

Your insurance may not cover property damage to your car, unless you have purchased collision coverage. Collision coverage is optional but not required by law. If you have sustained serious injuries, your PIP coverage is not going to provide enough compensation to you.

In cases where there is another driver who caused your crash, the other driver should cover property damage and economic and non-financial loss caused by serious injury. Sometimes, however, the driver who should be paying for your losses does not stop at the crash scene to provide information. When a driver does not stop, the crash is considered a hit-and-run. You need to know how to handle a hit-and-run accident claim in order to try to protect your interests and get the money you need.

How to Handle a Detroit Hit-and-Run Claim

Michigan does not require you to purchase uninsured motorist coverage. Some drivers buy this type of insurance protection even though it is not mandated by law. As soon as you become involved in a motor vehicle accident and the driver responsible leaves the scene, you should check your insurance policy. If you have purchased uninsured motorist coverage, you can make a claim for your losses with your insurer.  Your insurer stands in for the driver who actually should be paying.

Uninsured motorist coverage not only works in situations where the driver who hit you has no insurance but also in situations where you do not know the driver who hit you because he left the crash scene.  Your policy terms will dictate how to make a claim when you rely on uninsured motorist coverage to pay for your losses and damages. In the event your insurer fails to comply with policy terms or is not reasonable in processing your claim for payment, you can contact an experienced car accident attorney for assistance in filing a claim against your auto insurance company.

In some situations, the police are able to find the driver who hit you. Law enforcement will conduct an investigation into hit-and-run accidents because it is illegal in Michigan to leave the scene of a motor vehicle accident.  If police find the driver who hit you, you could pursue a claim against that driver as you would if the motorist had provided his contact information at the crash scene. You'll need to show the driver was responsible for your accident to get compensation for serious injuries.

A Detroit accident lawyer can help victims in the city and surrounding suburbs including Warren and Sterling Heights. Contact Fraser & Souweidane P.C. at (866) 465-9095 or visit https://www.fsattorneys.com to schedule a free consultation.

Category: Posts

Fraser & Souweidane P.C. is a personal injury law firm located in Mount Clemens, MI. We protect the rights of accident victims in Detroit and throughout Wayne, Macomb and Oakland counties. Contact our personal injury attorneys today at (866) 465-9095 for a free consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay no fees unless we win your case.

AVVO Rating Superb Top Attorney Car Accident
State Bar of Michigan
ABA Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice
Michigan Association for Justice Lawyers Helping People
American Association for Justice
Super Lawyers
Our Location
Fraser & Souweidane, P.C.
10 South Main Street, Suite 302
Mount Clemens, MI 48043
Phone: 586-463-0100