What to Do After a Car Accident
Tips from an Accident Lawyer Serving Southeast Michigan and Macomb County
It's natural to feel agitated, upset, confused and even angry after you've been in a car accident. Our Michigan car accident attorneys know that the process of recovery can be difficult, but getting justice shouldn’t have to be. Our legal professionals offer the following tips to help you through the first part of this difficult ordeal. You can print out this page and keep a copy in your glove box.
Please remember to call Fraser & Souweidane, P.C. before making any statement to an insurance company or agreeing to any settlement with an insurance company representative. You may be entitled to more compensation than you originally thought.
At the accident location:
- Pull over
- Determine if anyone is injured
- Call 911
- Obtain information from all drivers involved in the accident (including full names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance and drivers' license numbers).
- If a commercial truck or other type of commercial vehicle was involved, write down the registration numbers on the trailer and cab. Determine who owns the vehicle.
- Look for any witnesses and obtain their contact information.
- Use your camera (if you have one) to take photos of the accident location, weather and road conditions and the extent of the damage.
- Don't discuss the accident with the other drivers or witnesses, and don't accept any responsibility.
After the accident
- See a doctor immediately if you experience any type of pain or believe you're injured.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident. Give them the contact information for other drivers. Remember not to give any statement to your insurance company before talking to a lawyer.
- Obtain a copy of the accident report.
- If you're injured, continue to keep appointments with your doctor and keep him or her informed about your pain and other effects of the injury.
Don't risk your future. Contact a lawyer today
If you've been injured in an accident caused by somebody else's careless behavior, you should take action to protect your rights. Contact a Michigan auto accident lawyer at Fraser & Souweidane who can carefully listen to you and discuss a course of action. Your consultation is free. We understand that life can be difficult in the days, weeks and months following an accident. You might face a long, painful recovery process, medical bills, lost wages from missing work and insurance companies that might try to bully you into accepting a "low ball" settlement that doesn't even cover the cost of your injuries. When your future is at stake, we don't take any chances.
From the moment you call us for a free case evaluation or walk into our office, you will see just how much we care about helping people. If we represent you, you can rest assured that our attorneys will work tirelessly to build a sound legal strategy on your behalf. At Fraser & Souweidane, we bring over 45 years of experience to the table fighting for the rights of personal injury and accident victims - just like you. Our knowledgeable attorneys can examine evidence, interview witnesses, and collect important medical and police records on your behalf. We aren't afraid to take on big insurance companies and other large corporations. Take a stand. Contact us today at (866) 465-9095 to discuss your legal options with an experienced attorney who knows how to protect your rights.